Re: one more time on KDMKTONE

Aaron Ucko (amu@mit.edu)
14 Aug 1997 16:09:55 -0500

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> In article <UTC199708140844.KAA23697=aeb@eik.cwi.nl>,
> <Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> wrote:
> >Bob Tracy - TDS:
> >
> >: The intent of the original 2.1.49 patch for linux/drivers/char/vt.c
> >: seems to be to modify the affected ioctl() calls to accept the frequency
> >: of the desired tone rather than the period ( 1193180 / frequency ).
> >
> >That would be rather stupid. No new features, no bug fixes,
> >just a gratuitous change forcing everybody using KDMKTONE to
> >test the kernel version to find out whether it should be called
> >with arg or 1193180/arg.
>
> Also, the "old" interface is compatible with what sysv does.. why change it?

Um, NetHack's src/music.c indicates that VPIX, which I _assume_ to be
an i386 SysV derivative, has a KDMKTONE ioctl that takes the
frequency. I suppose the code would be wrong, but I'd expect somebody
would have noticed by now were that the case.

--
Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu) | For Geek Code, PGP public key, and other info,
finger amu@monk.mit.edu. | "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.