Re: IPIP Tunnelling.

Daniel G. Linder (dlinder@zeus.webcentric.net)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:26:09 -0400 (EDT)

David Woodhouse <D.W.Woodhouse@nortel.co.uk> wrote:
> Hmmm. Setting the ttl to the same as in the encapsulated packet kills
> traceroute a bit. Why can't we just refuse to IP-encapsulate any packets which
> are already IP-encapsulated?
> Slightly more reasonably, we could have the tunnel driver go through the IPIP
> headers one by one until it reaches the real IP packet in the middle, and
> refuse to package it if it has ever been sent out by this tunnel device.

A multiple-encapsulated IP packet could be found if an ISP is using
a Linux box as a router on a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and one of
their users is using that ISP to setup their own VPN... Granted, this is
a small case but could easily come up.

How much overhead are we going to add if we have the system look at each
packet to determine if it is an encapsulated packet, dis-assemble it, and
recursively go into that packets data to see where it's going???

Dan

--
Daniel Linder W:(402) 393-3997 C:(402) 490-1673 P:(402) 579-1615
National / TechTeam WebCentric