Re: 2.1.49 oops.

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:11:52 -0500 (CDT)

I keep forgetting to mention that for me, swapoff cant unmount the
swap devices. Not a big deal, but it is still worrisome. I'll gice this
patch a whirl. Thanks.

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:28:53 -0400
> From: Bill Hawes <whawes@star.net>
> To: welbon@bga.com
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
> Subject: Re: 2.1.49 oops.
>
> Edward Welbon wrote:
> >
> > Two oopses, the first occurs durring boot in rc.S. I use initrd
> > and one of the first actions of rc.S is to unmount the initial
> > ram disk. This oopses with a negative d_count.
>
> OK, now I see what's going on ... do_change_root is unmounting something
> that doesn't need unmounting, and doing the mount twice.
>
> I'll bet all of the kswapd etc. oops are on kernels using initrd ...
>
> The attached patch should fix the problem. The first printk should
> report d_count=2, we do one dput, then mount the old root on the new
> directory.
>

> > The second occurs randomly when starting a new shell. Couldn't
> > see any pattern, the oops is:
>
> This is probably just remaining corruption from the first problem.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;

"He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew was much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand."