Re: SMP and HP LX PRO and linux?

Zach (zab@zabbo.net)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:40:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:43:14 -0700, Don Fisher wrote:
>
> >Can anybody point me to information relating to the use of an HP LXPro
> >to host a Linux SMP system. They will support 4 PPro 200 MHz
> >processors. Any experience/knowledge of proprietary peripheral,
> >controller or other problems would be appreciated.
>
> These system boards are made by Intel under the 'code' name alda (alder?
> well at least I know I'm close)

alder. and the chassi is the "poca", i beleive.

anyway, linux runs fine on them, once you get the broken bios to play
nice. It was having a grand old time remapping the ethernet cards i/o
space out from under it. luckily for me, i worked down the hall from the
alder guys so they fed me all the latest bios revs, i don't know if people
outside intel would be so lucky. I had a pre-production alder running
with 3 ppro166s and a "real" alder running with 2 ppro200s. both with
128meg, dual onboard aic7880s, and the 21040 based smc cards. they made
damn snappy little boxes, for being intel hardware. with raid-1 and a
pile of nice drives i was getting 24meg/second sustained over 3 drives.
the two boxes ended up being nfs archival servers (on the order of 100gig
each), they're still in service as far as i know. never a glitch, with
smp enabled from day 1.

-- zach