Re: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@lap.noris.de)
14 Aug 1997 02:10:24 +0200

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:
> On Thursday 7 August 97, at 16 h 16, the keyboard of Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:
>
> > What sort of case-insensitivity do various filesystems currently support?
>
> MS-DOS != COMMAND.COM). "carré" and "CARRÉ" (I hope you see 8-bits
> characters) are the same file but "CARRE" is not.
>
> The strange thing is there is one translation in AppleTalk (zone names
> are case-insensitive) and it is documented in "Inside AppleTalk".
> Apparently, "carré", "CARRÉ" and "CARRE" are the same zone.

That's not strange. ;-) The Mac has an OS call to compare two strings,
with a flag "ignore case" and a separate flag "ignore diacriticals".

Which character set this applies to is anybody's guess, since the Mac has
two (one a superset of the other).

When was Latin-1 created, anyway?

--
Matthias Urlichs