Re: Linux 2.0.31-pre-4: bug detecting secondary IDE drive

Paul Slootman (paul@wau.mis.ah.nl)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:08:15 GMT

Arthur Jerijian <owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>Aug 12 20:58:38 celestra kernel: hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3
>
>However, once it reaches hdc, the system halts for about 10 seconds and
>displays the following message:
>
>Aug 12 20:58:38 celestra kernel: hdc:hdc: irq timeout: status=0x58 {
>DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
>Aug 12 20:58:38 celestra kernel: hdc: disabled DMA
>Aug 12 20:58:38 celestra kernel: ide1: reset: success
>Aug 12 20:58:38 celestra kernel: [PTBL] [787/64/63] hdc1
>
>I am sure that the drive is working properly. I get this phenomenon
>consistently whenever I boot a kernel from version 2.0.29 onward. This
>bug hasn't been fixed in 2.0.31-pre-4.

You mean to say that this didn't happen in 2.0.28 or earlier?

I have a similar setup (with a bigfoot on hdc, with 430fx - Tyan Titan III)
and it works perfectly, without any hiccups.

Change the BIOS setting for this drive to mode 3 or so; I've seen an
IBM drive claim to do DMA, but lockup when the BIOS is not set to
mode 3; even in dos. Otherwise, try exchanging your hdb and hdc, which
both claim to do DMA. If the problem moves to hdb, it's definitely the
drive, if it stays at hdc, it's the system or kernel. If it goes away,
it is probably still the drive.

Paul Slootman

--
Murphy Software, Enschede, The Netherlands      | Most people would die
email work: paul@wau.mis.ah.nl / paul@murphy.nl | sooner than think --