Re: Memory Management - BSD vs Linux

Darin Johnson (darin@connectnet.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

> From: torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)

> Linux is able to handle the RS6000 hash tables quite well, thank you
> very much. They exist on the PowerPC too, and there is already a native
> port to that.

A quick glance at the code, and it seems like they're just
ignored once initialized. If so, they have no impact on the
OS design. Am I wrong?

> Yes, the Linux approach to page tables is faster than anybody else. But
> no, that speed is not because it sacrificed generality, it's because I'm
> a better designer than all the other people that designed virtual memory
> subsystems. Sorry, but that's just how it is.
>
> I'm not only exceedingly clever, I'm also a conceited little bugger,
> ain't I?

Before you can avoid the mistakes of others, the others have to
actually make the mistakes. Thus, all those that did it wrong should
get the credit for you doing it right :-)

> >something native now?), there's never been a case where the Linux
> >pgd/pmd/pte hasn't been general enough (whereas SVR4 HAT and
> >*BSD/Mach would be).

Just what do "pgd/pmd/pte" stand for? (I've got good guesses for
pgd and pte, but I'm at a blank for what pmd might stand for, and
this makes me always forget which comes first in the mapping)