Re: Memory Management - BSD vs Linux

Anders Hammarquist (iko@netg.se)
13 Aug 1997 02:23:00 +0200

In article <199708122311.TAA15895@neon.ingenia.ca>,
Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca> wrote:
>Thus spake Rob Hagopian:
>> I like the Solaris method; we have a machine that uses one partition as
>> both tmp space and swap... For people who need a few hundred megs of swap,
>> it's there, but if you need a few hundred megs of tmp space, it's there...
>
>Until someone creates a _huge_ file in /tmp (as my users are wont to
>do) and all of the sudden you're low on memory.
>
>Or when your MOO/database/rendering eats up piles of memory and
>sendmail can't create temp files and starts rejecting mail.

tmpfs as implemented on Solaris does have some flaws, but the general
idea of sharing swap and /tmp is still good. As I see it it needs some
tunables, namley min_free_swap (free swap space when tmpfs is to
declare itself as 'full') and perhaps prealloc (reserve this much
space for free tmpfs space).

Is anybody working on a tmpfs-like filesystem for Linux? If not, I'll
consider having a go at it...

/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |          This space          | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   intentionally left blank   | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40