Re: umsdos and smbfs

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:54:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Linux-Kernel Mail Account wrote:

> Is it possable to put umsdos on top of a smbfs mount? If my understanding
> of it is correct and it works purely via files then it should beable to
> work on top of any fs.
> Please correct me if I'm worng.

Umsdos was not design this way. Some features of the VFS prevented umsdos
to be "simply" stackable on anything. I can't remember well though. Umsdos
do some calls directly to the msdos code.

Doing what you need is possible though. The simplest way to achieve it is
(or the cheapiest) is to create a usmbfs and replace all occurence of
msdos_xxxx function call with equivalent (when available) in smbfs.

Doing a clean "stackable" umsdos is possible as umsdos does not rely on
much magic of the msdos fs.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/linuxconf
new development: linuxconf configure dhcpd since 1.9r7