Re: bind sucks?

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:43:13 -0400

"David S. Miller" writes:
> Um, I don't think so. It was not fixed in pre-2, nor was it fixed
> in Linus's pre-3. We tried both on many large mirror runs, and both
> of those kernels exhibit the same problem. In particular, we just
> tested it on pre-2 a minute ago to verify, and we tested it last
> week with pre-3.
>
>Really? Eric Schenk ran days of exhaustive tests on the fix he wrote.

Did he run long mirror sessions mirroring lots of files? Perhaps there
are multiple bugs here that look alike from a user's perspective.

Also, did his patch get into pre-3?

>In any event, thanks for not reporting the continued failures back
>then when it mattered, as far as we had known, the problem had been
>fixed.

I'm so glad you're feeling sarcastic today!

I thought that Erik told me that he had reported that pre-2 didn't
work with mirror. Whether he sent email to linux-kernel or to you,
Alan, or Eric in conversations about other networking issues I don't
know.

I don't think that the people (not Erik) who were trying to get mirror
to work here realized that pre-2 was supposed to fix it; they had already
reported it and just thought it hadn't been fixed. I didn't come into
the picture on this one until I built pre-3 soon after it was released
and asked people here to test it, and they discovered that it hadn't
fixed the problem and so asked me about it, causing me to dive into it
and do some research and report this.

That's why I reported this problem earlier in
<199708061543.LAA07783@tristan.redhat.com> of Wed, 06 Aug 1997 11:43:25 -0400
sent to Alan Cox, copies to linux-kernel:
>I don't know whether this is the same as the mirror problem that has been
>reported, but I can definitively report that the mirror problem is still
>there with Linus's pre-2.0.31-3.

Was that insufficient reporting? If so, please tell me how, and I'll
try to rectify it in the future.

michaelkjohnson

prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz