Re: Memory Management - BSD vs Linux

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@alcove.wittsend.com)
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:41:49 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi,

> I am looking to compare the Memory management in BSD systems against
> linux. I have been muddling thru the linux and freebsd/netbsd code
> and have some notes and questions. I was wondering if some of you,
> who have been staring at the code longer than I have would share your
> knowledge with me.

> I'll jot down some of notes below. Please feel free to comment on
> them (please CC me on your replies but keep the discussion on the
> mailing list so that everybody can see the replies). Some of my
> notes may indeed be wrong or outdated. Please don't flame me on
> these. Just correct me instead!

:
:- First few items deleted - not commented on...
:

> [3] Can any of these systems have
> a) swap files rather than partitions
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Linux absolutely can.
> b) dynamically growing swap space?
If you mean to dynamically grow the partition/file then no. If you
mean to dynamically add additional files/partitions then yes.

> As far as I can make out, the answeris no!

The answers are definitely yes and it-depends.

:
: - Remainder deleted, not commented on...
: