Re: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
9 Aug 1997 13:00:20 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.970808080428.22567B-100000@sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de>,
Marcin Dalecki <dalecki@sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> What sort of case-insensitivity do various filesystems currently support?
>> Are we talking A-Z only, Latin1, or what? I guess we don't really need to
>> worry about what could theoretically be the worst case, but what MS-DOS,
>> NT, OS/2 etc actually do right now..
>>
>> Linus
>>
>Sorry. MS-DOS ** IS NOT ** case insensitive.

Hmm? Unless MS-DOS maps all filenames to upper or lower case before
writing them into the directories, it is; if I use my vi-clone to
write `foo' (via the creat() system call, or whatever that maps to
for a software interrupt), I can then retrieve that file via open().

>It is ONLY
>command.com....

I don't use command.com as my default shell on MS-DOS, and `foo', `fOo',
and `FOO' still retrieve the same file.

If they're all written to the fs as upper case, this is great
(experiences with OS/2, which writes filenames in mixed case on fat
filesystems, doesn't make me too certain about this bold assumption),
but it's certainly not command.com that enforces case insensitivity.

____
david parsons \bi/ And what about rad50 character sets?
\/