Re: OBJDUMP_FLAGS in i386 kernel

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 19:06:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Martin Mares wrote:

> > I am trying to build a v2.0.0 kernel (first ever kernel build) and I have
^^^^^^^
> The 2.0 kernels autodetect objdump version by checking whether there is
> a "encaps" command or not. People upgrading from old binutils usually install
> the new utilities, but they don't know that encaps has vanished and don't
> delete it and it confuses the kernel makefiles a lot. The solution is simple:
> delete encaps and it should work fine.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Look at the version this guy is
trying to build: it's 2.0.0. That kernel WILL NOT BUILD with newer
binutils, simply because the newer binutils had not been released by that
time so the 'hash /usr/bin/encaps' kludge does not exist in the Makefile.

The logical thing to do is to go for a newer kernel. If for some reason
you cannot do that (although 2.0.0 really isn't the kernel of choice), you
have several options:

- use older binutils - 2.6.x.14 should be fine (I forgot what x is),
2.7.0.3 _might_ work too.
- steal arch/i386/Makefile from a newer kernel and stick it into 2.0.0.

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.