Re: LILO and kernel bootsector will not boot off an LS-120 IDE floppy.

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Fri, 08 Aug 97 15:53:45 -0500

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997 21:13:34 +0400 (IDT), Gadi Oxman wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:
>
>> I also have been unable to get lilo to work either.
>>
>> Depending on how I install lilo to the floppy I get " 01" running across
>> and down the screen, or it says Boot Failed: (some garbage)
>>
>> Can anyone make any suggestions? I ABSOLUTELY NEED to be able to boot an
>> LS-120 with linux. Point me in the right direction and I'll start hacking.
>
>You mentioned that the Debian 1.3 boot disk is bootable with the LS-120.
>That boot disk is using the SYSLINUX loader by H. Peter Anvin, which is
>available at:
>
> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/syslx130.zip

This does work with a 1.44mb disk in the drive. It will not work with an
LS-120 because it is not 12-bit FAT.

I've still had no more luck with lilo. I have noticed that the LS-120 is
getting addressed as hdg instead of hda because of the memory address the
IDE controller resides at. It is one of the little idiot cards made just for
LS-120 boot compatibility. I'm making the disk on my system as hda. Could
this be screwing things up?

http://www.psychosis.com/emc/ Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/ Linux Router Project