Re: patch for 2.1.48 autofs race

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 08 Aug 1997 13:52:00 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> More agreement. However, the current low-level "lookup()" interface
> doesn't get the parent at all (it only gets the directory inode, which is
> not enough - you can't tell what dentry is the parent if you have
> directory aliases, something that will happen when we implement loopback
> mounts).

The filesystem lookup gets a dentry with a valid parent pointer, so it
could use that to access the true parent. Though perhaps it would be
better to export a parent() function, rather than have the fs looking
inside the structure.

> On the whole I think it should be done, I just don't have it very high on
> my list of things to do yet.

Hopefully this patch will clear up the oops reports in kswapd and
sys_newstat.

Regards,
Bill