Re: PentiumII's.

Joel Philip Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:46:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, System Email wrote:
>
> > Does linux support PentiumII's (does it work?)
> Certainly. We've got 2.0.30 running on two PentiumII 233's [1] here at
> OGI. Kernel compiles in 3 minutes or so. :)
> However, the Intel PD440FX motherboard's BIOS is absolutely horrendous,
> and I was stuck for a couple weeks just banging out IRQ conflicts since
> you can't manually assign them on a per-slot basis, and the BIOS was
> handing out duplicates, which the aic7xxx driver didn't particularly like.
> (I've since gotten patches...)
>
> Plenty fast, though. (:

I was very pleased both with the performance and the behavior of my ami
bios based tyan 1682d (dual pentium II) board. Of course the chipset is
still the 440fx and can still only cache 512mb worth of memory but I don't
think that's an issue for your average desktop machine in any event. The
440gz which is supposed to push that number out to 768mb and include some
other things like ultra-dma ide support is supposed to be out shortly I'm
told. SDRAM suport would be nice but it doesn't seem to exist in any
available ppro/pII chipset.

joelja
Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
ANTC & NSRC joelja@ns.uoregon.edu
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage