Re: Large Distributed Linux Networks

Joachim Breuer (jmbreuer@twins.iconsult.com)
29 Jul 1997 19:00:16 +0200

hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) writes:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.96.970728130308.1643B-100000@Earth.Terran.ORG>
> By author: "B. James Phillippe" <bryan@Terran.ORG>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > I've been watching autofs since incarantion and am very optimistic. Only
> > caveat is that it's against 2.1.
> >

> Have you tried it on 2.0.x? There is a patch against 2.0.30 in the
> autofs distribution, although I don't test it. Right now I'm trying
> to sort out Linus' fixes to autofs for the VFS changes in 2.1.4x.

A co-worker of mine started test-driving autofs on one of our
lo-priority production machines (2.0.30-pre2), and after at most 4
days he was convinced that it was considerably better than amd and
installed it on most of the other systems.

No problems so far (that is, for the last 4 weeks, if I remember
correctly).

So long,
Joe

--