Re: ext2 errors

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 15:14:29 -0400

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 14:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ion Badulescu <ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu>

> Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
> UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=626563, sector=9666
> Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02, sector
> 9666

This has nothing to do with ext2, it's your hardware that's failing.
Usually such messages denote a dying IDE hard drive, altough sometimes a
faulty IDE interface can create problems as well. I take it that your
motherboard uses a Triton chipset (since you tried to disable DMA
transfers) which are pretty good in general, so it's probably your hard
drive.

I'm beginning to think that we should make the kernel message clearer,
since this is a very common question. I get asked it a lot privately,
and then it gets asked on the linux-kernel mailing list fairly often as
well.

Maybe we should have the IDE driver print something about "likely drive
failure", and also more clearly identify which drive is failing. "dev
03:02" is simply not very descriptive for most poeple.

If the errors show up randomly, it could be an issue with the interface;
if they're consistant, the drive is toast.

If you have a spare disk, do this ASAP

dd if=/dev/XXX of=/dev/XXX bs=1k conv=noerror,sync

or if you don't have a spare disk but have enough space on another
partition, redirect the output to an image file on another disk.
Unfortunately, these sorts of disk failures tend to be progressive, so
the fater one acts, the better. This is another reason why it's bad
that kernel messages aren't more explicit in its error messages.

- Ted