ext2 errors

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Sat, 05 Jul 1997 16:20:06 +0200

Marcus Meissner wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970704215603.1343A-100000@revue.ldk-hydroel.niimm.spb.su> you write:
> > Hello, People !
> >
> >Could you please say, what does this mean:
> >Jul 4 21:54:41 hydroel kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:41):
> >ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 370367
> >
> >At first, what is "03:41" ? I always thought here have to be major:minor
> >device number, but 3:41 is ttyr9....
> >
> >Anyway, I checked all my file systems and found no errors... Now it pops ip
> >in my log very often......
> >
> >Can somebody help ?
>
> Well, the last time it showed up for me (around 2.1.1x), my ext2fs slowly
> detoriated to death. (I suspected some out of DMA buffers with my Adaptec 2940U)
>
> I suggest forcing an immediate fsck on that disk (see the other mails).

I'm experiencing problems with my ext2 partition also. Even though I had
*NO* crashes at all and the machine was *ALWAYS* properly shut down, I
was welcomed by a ton of errors when I tried to boot my machine today.
Fsck shows everything is fine, but trying to read some files (i probably
wouldn't have noticed the problem if one of those files was not a system
log) or testing the disk for speed via hdparm (hdparm -tT /dev/hdX)
results
in failing with the following message logged (sector number changes):

Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=626563, sector=9666
Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02, sector
9666

I tried disabling DMA but no success (the messages only change from
dma_intr
to read_intr). I did a 'find / -type f | xargs -n 1 cat >/dev/null' and
got
an error on a number of files.

The machine is a Cyrix166+ on a Shuttle HOT-557 Spacewalker MB, Linux
kernel
2.0.30, disk is Quantum Fireball TM2110A.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Andrej