Re: ext2_free_block already cleared for block xxxx

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 17:13:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Pawel S. Veselov wrote:

> Hello, People !
>
> Could you please say, what does this mean:
> Jul 4 21:54:41 hydroel kernel: EXT2-fs warning (device 03:41):
> ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 370367
>
> At first, what is "03:41" ? I always thought here have to be major:minor
> device number, but 3:41 is ttyr9....

It's a bit misleading because the numbers above are in hex. 0x41=65,
so it's
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 65 Jul 17 1994 /dev/hdb1

Various people have seen errors like this pop up when the fs claims no
actual errors. Most are running busy systems like news servers. Nobody
seems to know what really causes it. It could perhaps be a disk read
error or corrupted read that the kernel isn't detecting or dealing with
properly.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______