Re: a bit more ptys....

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 23:39:23 -0400

From: tigran_aivazian@dsti.co.uk
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:38:16 +0000

Am I right to say that it is impossible on Linux to have more than 256
pseudo-terminals?

Sorry for the delay; I've been on vacation and it's taken a while to
catch up on all of my e-mail.

Linux currently does not support more than 256 pty's out-of-the-box. It
is possible to assign a few more major numbers and make a very minor
modification to the source to support more than 256 pty's. The reason
why we haven't done this by default is because the Right Way (tm) to fix
this problem involves changing the size of the dev_t type, so that we
can have much marger minor device numbers. This will hopefully happen
during the 2.1 development series. In the mean time, if you absolutely
positively need more than 256 pty's, somehow like I can help you make
the necessary changes to support more than 256 pty's.

- Ted