Re: Advice wanted on porting

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:05:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Dale Amon as Operator wrote:

> I'm considering (I may regain my mental health in time)
> doing a port of Linux to NeXT black. Although I did
> a great deal of OS work some years back, I'll need
> to bring myself up to date. I've skimmed through docs
> on the mirrors but have yet come up with anything
> related directly to the process of bootstrapping to
> a new machine. I know from experience that this can
> be interesting.
>
> If there is anyone here (I know there must be!) who
> has done a port, could you email me and perhaps
> share some war stories and perhaps advice on
> the best way to go about the job... and some
> idea of the magnitude of the effort so I can
> make an honest evaluation whether I have the
> resources to do it?
>
> Thanks, a NeXT hacker
> Dale Amon

Hi.. Just to drop you a note: I'm a very expirenced linux users and small
fry kernel hacker.. I should be buying some NeXT black hardware in the
next few weeks so I'd be happy to be a tester.. Though I dont have enough
time to develope.. You should conctact the maintainers of Linux m68k and
check out the mac port on www.uk.linux.org.. (I suppose the next port wont
be very differnt then those two)..