Re: Linux ISO9660 File System

Eric Youngdale (eric@andante.jic.com)
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 21:49:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Jonathan F. Freeson wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I noticed that with some of the later 2.1.x kernels, I have been unable to
> read some of my older "Shareware" CD-ROMs that I was able to read with
> 2.0.30. With 2.1, I frequently got the kernel message:

What are the kernel messages you get when you mount this disc?
What type of cdrom drive are you using?

The theory behind the change is that cdrom discs have a fixed
sector size - normally 2048 bytes, but 512 byte sector discs do come up
from time to time. Directories themselves contain a series of directory
entries, and the idea is that a single directory entry should never span
a sector boundary.

The fact that you are getting this message either indicates
defective premastering of the disc itself, or it indicates that the driver
for the cdrom drive you are using is somehow broken.

The main motivation for making the change now was that their is
a lot of ugly overhead in piecing together two adjacent extents to form
the directory entry that lies on a sector boundary. (This was originally
added because the original cdrom drivers always gave back 1K sectors)

Hope this explains things a bit.

-Eric