Re: Raid0 needs more memory.

Tall cool one (ice@mama.indstate.edu)
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:43:11 -0500

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> > Correct way is to find such problems and just "forget" about this 128.
> > This will REALLY reduce memory requirenments, coz it will make *less*
> > strips.
>
> The kernel should still have bottled out of the other configuration
> cleanly though

As someone else has already suggested to me, I suppose I should have just
fixed raid0 with vmalloc instead of "fixing" kmalloc. Probably would have
been easier. What penalties are there for using vmalloc over kmalloc, if
any?

Big chunks of memory aren't hard to come by on the systems I play with (I
don't even own a system with less than 64MB ram anymore!) so I didn't
really consider it. Don't think about the people playing with 4MB anymore
when I work with 192MB or more everyday.

Oh well... Later...

- Steve

| Steve Baker | Barely Working | # ## # # # # #
| ice@mama.indstate.edu | System Administrator | # # # # # # # #
| Red-Hat Rulz! | Will work for hardware | # # # ## # # # #
`--- SYS-ADMIN FOR HIRE, HAVE UNIX, WILL TRAVEL -' #### # # # ## # #