Re: 2.1.43 curious pipe-entries in / (root)

Mon, 30 Jun 97 12:30:18 +1100

>> > Why not stick them in /proc? That is where everything else like
>> > this goes.
>> >
>> Or just /tmp or something like /tmp/pipes ...

>What if /proc isn't yet mounted? What if /tmp is a symlink to an as yet
>unmounted partition? Bound to break some people's rc scripts...

>The proc problem could be solved by having the kernel mount it
>automatically straight after mounting /, after a sys_mkdir() if necessary,
>but that would mean that procfs can no longer be optional. People running
>dedicated servers with not much RAM or security worries won't be happy.

Why do we need these pipe entries anyway? If someone compiles a kernel
without proc support or just doesn't bother mounting /proc then why can't
they live without the pipe files?

I've run Linux for 4 years without having a need for such a thing and I
can't imagine any reason for it being a mandatory feature now.

Russell Coker