Solved: a strange slowing down problem

Dong Chen (chen@ctpa04.mit.edu)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 16:56:09 -0400 (EDT)

Dong Chen writes:
> There is a strange problem when I run kernel 2.0.30 on my AST J50 P133.
> In short, when APM is enabled in the kernel and the PCMCIA module
> i82365.o is loaded, any process running longer than 1 second are slowed down.

This problem is solved, it has nothing to do with PCMCIA. Here is a summary:

On some notebooks with Phoenix noteBIOS, if one enables Advanced Power
Management in the Linux kernel, any processes running longer than 1 second
are slowed down. This can be solved by:

(1) Compile Linux with APM support,

(2) Before booting Linux (at the lilo prompt):

Enable BIOS APM support.
DISABLE BIOS APM management, ie set the computer in High Performance mode.

(3) Re-enable BIOS APM management after booting Linux.

(Thanks to Benny Amorsen <amorsen@sscnet.com> for an email discussion.)

Dong Chen
chen@ctp.mit.edu