Re: menuconf

A.E. Brouwer (aeb@win.tue.nl)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 11:22:23 +0200 (MET DST)

From roadcapw@titus.org Wed Jun 25 01:36:27 1997

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, A.E. Brouwer wrote:

> o The console/window is "/usr/bin/reset" upon exit.
>
> A bad idea. Why would you want to do that?
> This messes up my interrupt character etc.

For some people, including me, it will make no difference. However, your
point is well taken, and I should probably modify that change. Perhaps a
simple 'tput rs2' or something similar?

Hmm - from man terminfo:

Commands are normally placed in rs2 and rf
only if they produce annoying effects on the screen

On my machines rs2 is not defined for the Linux console.

> Note that there are lots of `reset' programs or scripts around,
> all intending to get a tty into more or less reasonable shape
> after an unintended crash. Your program is buggy if it needs
> reset.

Ouch! That's kind of a harsh stance. Perhaps using /usr/bin/reset is not
the best idea. However, choosing to reset the terminal doesn't
automatically make a program "buggy".

Think of it this way: If your program is correct it leaves the
terminal in a good state. The program reset will bring a terminal
from an unknown, undesired state to a tolerable state.
If you invoke reset without good reason, just `to be sure',
then you go from the correct state to a less correct but tolerable
state. Not a good idea.

Andries