Re: scsi-problem (phase change ?)

Hauke Johannknecht (ash@ash.ccc.de)
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 20:31:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:

> (1) If you run even normal Fast SCSI-2 (10.0 mega-transfers/second) on your
> SCSI bus, you should have *active* termination at both ends. Some
> configurations *might* get away with passive termination, but at the
> first sign of any problems you should immediately move to active
> termination.
smile. i remember it as a one end active for scsi-2,
both for long cables. ...

> (2) Ultra SCSI (20.0 mega-transfers/second) is even more stringent. If I
> recall correctly, you are allowed 3 meters cable length only if you have
> at most 4 devices, and 1.5 meters if you have more. The cables must also
> be built to much more stringent specifications. This doesn't apply to your
> configuration since the 53c810 isn't Ultra-capable, but it's here for
> reference.
ACK.

> With this configuration, I'd suggest it's time for a second SCSI bus.
hmm, ok, you convinced me. (not exactly you. i got this hint more
than one time ... :)
i will add my old FD TMC-950 for the Seagate ...

Gruss,
Hauke

--
Hauke Johannknecht               5johannk@informatik.uni-hamburg.de