Re: rescan scsi

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Sun, 22 Jun 97 00:57:38 -0500

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 23:35:19 -0500 (EST), Tsung-Hsiang Hsueh wrote:

>> >When you remove the terminator with the SCSI bus still active there is a
>> >chance that the wave that is travelling on the wire will get reflected.
>> >It is similar to turning on a hose, and then suddenly obstruct the output!
>> >The terminator is there exactly to match the impedance so that no waves
>> >will be reflected back to the transmitters on the SCSI bus.
>>
>> Of course you don't want to yank the termination while there is bus
>> activity, but I fail to see even if you did this how it could cause
>> psychical device damage. (even though your data may be screwed)
>> The signal bouncing back has not been amplified in anyway, and a signal
>> within tolerances simply can not hurt anything, not matter how stray it is.
>Not really, that could not be withing tolerances, supposing the worst
>case, when the reflected signal comes back at 180 degrees out of phase,
>then you would have high level (positive voltage) from the reflected
>signal matching with low level (negative voltage) of the transmitter output,
>or vice versa.

And you will get a float.....

>And that's like shorting the transmitter output. It might

No it is not.
#1 It is a pulse(s) not a solid connection
#2 It is a digital low, not true ground. It has ground potential, but is
not a raw electron pool.

>even survive, but it is definitely not healthy. If it is just one cycle,

It will be unhappy, but not unhealthily. Take some TTL and tie a high output
to a low output, and what do you get? About 1.5 volts, a float, with an
indeterminate interpretation by any logic on the other end.

Leave them connected for awhile and maybe they will fry. But from out of
phase pulses? Nothing will happen.

Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214 http://www.psychosis.com/emc/