Linux on 6200T [Prostar / AJP / Kapok] MMX boot problem

Pilgrim, Peter (peter.pilgrim@it.newsint.co.uk)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:10:30 +0100

MAN I HATE THIS MS EXCHANGE CLIENT APPLICATION!
IT IS RUBBISH FOR MAILING ON THE INTERNET !!

I found some one in the UK who has also AJP 6200T (Pentium 200MHz with
MMX)

>----------
>From: Mike Coombs[SMTP:MCOOMBS@mpc-data.co.uk]
>
>Yes,
>
>My machine says:
> System Processer: 200 MHx Intel Pentium P55C __with__ __MMX__
>
>I don't have access to the other m/c (the one which does boot Linux)
>at present, but I know that it does not say "with MMX"
>
>> What version of Red Hat Linux boots successfully (important on 6200T) ?
>
>The version of Red Hat that boots is the one from a recent edition of
>PCW. We have that bootable Linux on a spare 6200T hard drive and it
>works in the other m/c but not this one.

Thast would be Red Hat Linux 4.1 if you didn't know it.
PCW == Personal Computer World , a british computer magazine.

>> ...not be Red Hat Linux 4.2 would it ?
>
>Yes, I downloaded the floppy disk boot images only, and they failed
>on this m/c in exactly the same way, but booted OK on the non-MMX m/c.
>

>Mike Coombs

so it appears to be a problem with MMX machines. I am assuming this
machine is
the AJP 6200 with a __non__ MMX 200 Mhz pentium processer.

Does any one know why a pentium _with_ MMX will fail to run a linux boot
image
such as `boot.img' in the RH Linux. Note this problem also happens with
Slackware, and Drop In Linux from my Infomagic LDR Dec 1996 CD ROM.

I would be interested if other (U.S.) users with the Prostar 6200 series
have similar
boot problems.

See `http://www.netset.com/~greg/6200-review.html '

AS I WAS SAYING ....

The OEM for Prostor, AJP, Hi-Grade and ACI etc is Kapok
`http://www.kapok.com.tw '
In order to solve this problem I think I need ask an assember guru for
help ?
Any explanation for this weirdness ?

For that need a reminder here the hand copied boot message.

> In article <33A676AB.4E4E@scigen.co.uk>,
> mar2@scigen.co.uk wrote:

> > include/linux/pci.h
> (The machine hangs up here, CTRL ALT DEL are useless)

Cheers

Ciao!

#include <standard/disclaimer> // "Objects, dontcha just love em!"
Peter A. Pilgrim Email: `Peter.Pilgrim@IT.NewsInt.co.uk'
ACCU member [ enquiries `mailto:francis@robinton.demon.co.uk'
or rather new ` http://www.accu.org ' ]
News International Newspapers Limited, London, England.
Tel: +44 (0)171-782-3602 Fax: +44 (0)171-782-3624