Re: Kernel-Messages translation

voltage (voltage@fia.net)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:19:38 -0700

At 01:45 AM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Because the kernel currently has 10765 printk() statements, for over
>600k. Even if we translated all (!) of them, to just 1 additional
>language, the kernel source tree would go up by over 1 meg!
>(Why 1 meg? Well, lets do the math...)
>#ifndef CONFIG_PRINTK_FRENCH
> printk("The filesystem is corrupted\n");
>#else
> printk("Les filesystem est corrupte\n");
>#endif
>
>just the compiler directives are ~40 bytes (it could be done better)
>So just the addtional #ifdefs result in 400k of code bloat.
>If we assume that the translation takes up about as much space as the
>original (like my horrible french example did. ;-) that means about
>another 600k of french in the kernel. (Plus all the extra directives
>when compiling... an additional 10k #ifdefs for cpp?)

Alternatively you can just define what language you want, say like
-DENGLISH, and at bootup it would check for the define ENGLISH, and if it
found it, english.h would be included. The message would be
printk(CORRUPT_FS);, and in english.h or whatever CORRUPT_FS would be 'The
Filesystem is corrupted', which is a complete pain in the butt.. learn
english :)

voltage -/- voltage@fia.net
'..lost in a roman wilderness of pain, and all
the children are insane..' --jim morrison.