RE: Booting Red Hat Linux 4 boot.img on AJP 6200 MMX LapTop ? [Anybody]

Pilgrim, Peter (peter.pilgrim@it.newsint.co.uk)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:51:30 +0100

>----------
>From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk[SMTP:alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk]
>
>Your machine is dying probing things after the initial PCI scan - the
>1039:4107 is a PCI device Linux doesnt recognize and will thus ignore.
>
>Your machine is I suspect dying because the interrupt handling or memory
>mapping
>are non standard. Probably the latter - this could be due to non standard
>timer chips or other components.

Actual the duff chip is this chip has been found, and I hand copied
the number wrong, it is not a 4107 but 5107.

<http://www.sisworld.com/5107.htm>

>There is a tiny chance it is the PCI scan - perhaps a bug in the PCI bios.
>Get a kernel image with no PCI from someone and try that. That'll still boot
>a fairly functional system. If it works then there are patches to fix some
>compaq PCI bugs on www.linuxhq.com - pray yours are the same.

Well it is certainly looking like I should be looking at an alternative
os, maybe the
freeware SCO, or FreeBSD for the time being ....

Thanks anyway

Ciao!

#include <standard/disclaimer> // "Objects, dontcha just love em!"
Peter A. Pilgrim Email: `Peter.Pilgrim@IT.NewsInt.co.uk'
ACCU member [ enquiries `mailto:francis@robinton.demon.co.uk'
or rather new ` http://www.accu.org ' ]
News International Newspapers Limited, London, England.
Tel: +44 (0)171-782-3602 Fax: +44 (0)171-782-3624