Re: Kernel-Messages translation

Erik B. Andersen (andersee@et.byu.edu)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 9:46:53 MDT

> On 16 Jun 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > > As long as they can use the Latin alphabet they know it.
> > >
> > > So this is basically 100% of all Unix users.
> > >

> > One thing: does anyone realize what this is going to mean for bug
> > reports? I can guarantee that if I receive log messages that I can't
> > read, I'll hit the delete key so quickly you wouldn't even notice.
> >
> > I think this is a bad idea. We're talking about the kernel,
> > ferchrissake...
>
> why not like Oracle: 'ORA-18560: kak tebja zawut'
> 'LIN-12341: fatalitsisky errorno inodo'
>
> also, bug reports would be more consistent, the string 'LIN-' would likely
> be present in a bug report.
>
> [English could be a fallback language for untranslated messages.]
>
> -- mingo

If (BIG if here) Linus was to ever accept all possable translations for
each kernel message into every possable language, this is the only sensable
way to do it. If each message has a unique code (that is independent of
language) it might be possable. Of course, not all alphabets include
the required symbols for Latin kernel string identifiers. It would be
a pain to get bug reports that had the kernel error identifier string in
some multi-byte hieroglyphics that did not translate to a Latin alphabet
at all...

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/