Re: Kernel-Messages translation

Pavel Machek (pavel@Elf.mj.gts.cz)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:41:52 +0200

> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 08:53:16 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc7537.hil.siemens.at>
>
> why not like Oracle: 'ORA-18560: kak tebja zawut'
> 'LIN-12341: fatalitsisky errorno inodo'

Please no. I would like linux to stay friendly, with no numbers like
that.

> also, bug reports would be more consistent, the string 'LIN-' would likely
> be present in a bug report.
>
> [English could be a fallback language for untranslated messages.]
>
> When Linux has a separate mailing list in each country/language for kernel
> problems, then it will make sense to use the same approach Oracle does. Until
> such time, translating the kernel messages will only serve to isolate users
> from the people who can help them when problems arise.

NO! Even on national mailing list we do NOT NOT NOT want to hear bug
reports in national language. I know many kernel hackers who _hate_
computers talking they national language, because english terms are
much better.

Pavel

I'm really pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz. 	   Pavel
Look at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/ ;-).