Re: DANGER! pre-patch-2.1.43 (the undead rm can't die)

Blu3Viper (david@kalifornia.com)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 03:07:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> You tried a prepatch in Linus's testing directory, even if your
> machine sprouted rocket boosters and took off to Mars I would still
> say you got what you deserved...

not so. if a directory such as new/ for example is missing the . and ..
entries, trying to rm -rf new/ will hang and it *will* drive the load up
substantially.

this has been a sore spot for me for a long time. trying to fix a
filesystem that is broken hard like this with really messed up inode
values is enough to infuriate anyone.

the rm process is not killable by any means, and a reboot is required.

i brought this up well over a year ago and nobody responded except others
that complained of similar experiences.

david

[reply to: david@kalifornia.nospam.com without the nospam]
*** *** Flames will go to /dev/null
** WARNING ** SPAM mail will be returned to you at a
*** *** minimum rate of 50,000 copies per email