Re: pre-2.0.32-2 + this patch works for me

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:45:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:

> I've installed Gerard Roudier's patch on top of pre-31.2, and it
> works very well indeed. Responsiveness is way up, again.

Yes, it's much better that the previous patch from David. Although that
one also prevented lock-ups when stressing the disks, in the long run
buffers had a tendency to take WAY too much memory, somewhere in the range
of 50-60% (and this on a 48 MB box). As a result, even moderate usage let
to almost continuous swapping, yet buffers never decreased.

With Gerard's patch I can't "feel" that the box is swapping, and it's also
fairly resistant to badblocks/mke2fs abuse. Buffers stay where they
should, i.e. in the 20-25% range.

> Congrats!

My congratulations as well,

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.