Re: Oopses with pre-patch-2.1.43

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
16 Jun 1997 15:55:11 GMT

In article <199706160658.IAA11439@wilma.rz.uni-leipzig.de>,
Dirk Weigenand <weigo@wilma.rz.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:

>i'm running pre-patch-2.1.43 and am encountering oopses
>(nonfatal).

You should count yourself lucky that the oopses are non-fatal: the
pre-2.1.43 kernel is definitely rather unstable.

It's the new name cache which hasn't been completely debugged yet, but
never fear, I'll make a real 2.1.43 shortly which will be a good step on
the way to stability (unlike the pre-patches, it's actually stable for
me now). It probably will take a few releases to really get all the new
problems, but we'll have a much better VFS naming strategy after it is
all done (thanks for Thomas Schoebel and Dave Miller for the work they
put into this).

The new code is a lot faster, and also allows some really cool features
(an _efficient_ getcwd() and a safe undelete feature).

Linus