Re: scsidisk I/O error: sector number display

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de)
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 21:37:50 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:

> From: Richard Waltham <dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:27:01 +0100 (BST)
>
> Is this the intended display or is it intended to be the physical sector
> number?
>
> Mar 10 04:00:54 kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 347470
>
> It's intended to be partition-relative, since the device that is reported is
> not the underlying disk drive. In this example, 08:02 == /dev/sda2, so it
> makes sense for it to be a relative sector. Partition-relative makes the most
> sense from the standpoint of someone who has to figure out which file system
> has been damaged by the error.

Yes, but from the standpoint of someone who wants to remap that sector
it doesn't make much sense. Not all of the drives do automatic remapping.

So it would be better to have both, absolute and relative.

Mike