Re: your mail

Pawel S. Veselov (vps@beta.niimm.spb.su)
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:18:33 +0400 (MSD)

Hello, logic!

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997 logic@concept2000.net.au wrote:

> I'm having this problem when I try to ifconfig a dev.
>
>virtual:~# ifconfig eth0:0 whirred.ml.org
>net_alias_dev_create(eth0:0): unregistered family==2
>SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid argument
>virtual:~# Jun 15 21:43:02 virtual kernel: net_alias_dev_create(eth0:0):
>unregistered family==2
>
>I'm sure this is'nt really too linux related, but I could'nt find any
>other new's groups so forgive me :) -- Could anyone please tell me what I
>need to do? -- I installed ipalias in the kernel also. (compiled into
>kernel)

Devices can't be bind to tcp name. Linux didn't support TCP aliasing in
original kernel configuration also. To install second TCP name, ask your ISP
for adding entry into DNS system, with whirred.ml.org and aliased IP
address.

Bye.

--
Give me a Plumber's friend the size of the Pittsburgh dome, and a place
to stand, and I will drain the world.

--
    With best of best regards, Pawel S. Veselov (aka Black Angel)
                 internet : vps@beta.niimm.spb.su