Re: pre31-patch + davem + Hubert

Philippe Strauss (philou@sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch)
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:08:01 +0200

On Jun 13, Hubert Mantel wrote
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Thomas Koenig wrote:
>
> > I have applied pre31-2 + davem's patch + Hubert's patch, and am, at the
> > moment, running a "find . -type f | xargs grep foobar". Responsiveness
> > is waaaaaaaaaaaay down; if I pause for a little time, I can sometimes
> > hit up to 30 keys before anything is displayed on my screen.
>
> After doing stress testing (which has turned out to be stable) I installed
> the patches on my workstation and made the same experience. Bad
> performance. The system is swapping all the time. The kernel now is
> swapping to get memory for the buffer cache. Currently I have about 30MB
> allocated by buffers and 20MB swapped out. Moving the mouse pointer leads
> to swapping.
>
> Hubert mantel@suse.de

On this same source tree: (P5 166 32MB ram)

Doing a badblocks -w on a 2gig empty disk, badblocks now SIGSEGV after 5 to 10
seconds of activity. During those 5 - 10 secs, system is still swapping like
crazy and totally unresponsive.

mke2fs on the same partition works fine, no "Couldn't find a free page".

e2fsprogs is 1.10 (1.10-2 debian)

Cheer.

--
Philippe Strauss <philou@lili.urbanet.ch>
Urbanet SA, Vallombreuse 51, 1004 Lausanne -- 021 / 625.28.14

Homepage & PGP key: http://lili.urbanet.ch

Never insult an alligator until you've crossed the river.