Re: UMC 8881/8886 chipset

John Sullivan (johns@chiark.greenend.org.uk)
Wed, 11 Jun 97 14:35 BST

In article <199704110444.XAA07874@euphoria.dopamine.com> you write:
>In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970410210814.5660A-100000@nielsen.tus.primenet.com>,
>Bob Nielsen writes:
>> On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Roy P. Turner wrote:
>>
>> > I saw one message about support for this chipset a while back. Has anyone
>> > done any work on support for the UMC 8881/8886 PCI chipset or better yet,
>> > does anyone have any working patches. Just curious.
>
>I realize the chipset will work fine without specific support, but what
>I was more interersted in was support for performance enhancements in
>the way the kernel supports the intel triton chipsets, and 5-6 others
>under 'other ide chipset support'. All those chipsets will function
>fine without the kernel support "turned on", but I'd assume they perform
>better with it. Thanks though :).

Indeed. It's been a while since I did the timing tests, but I think I
went up from 1.5ish MB/s to 2.3 MB/s, and there my hard disk becomes
the bottleneck. With a better drive, who knows what this chipset is
rated at. I do have a hacked up version of the 8672 (VLB IDE chipset)
driver that'll drive my 8886 and push the PIO mode up. No DMA support,
and I don't have access to 8673/8881 to test those... I'll post the
patch for this sometime tomorrow however.

John

--
i built it up now i take it apart climbed up real high now fall down real far
no need for me to stay the last thing left i just threw it away