Re: Linux 2.0.30 loosing HD space?

Baldur Norddahl (bbn@dark.x.dtu.dk)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:00:26 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> I have a couple of linux 2.0.30 servers where free space is slowly
> vanishing.
>
> [root@dark /]# du -x /
> 829401 /
>
> [root@dark /]# df
> Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda2 1501968 1319340 105013 93% /

Ok, as people suggested that this could be old processes with open files,
I decided to ruin my uptime and reboot the system. It made no difference
at all.

So I forced a fsck. It reported a lot of files with zero dtime and it
fixed summary information. After that the df output is:

[bbn@dark /mnt/hdc1/home/bbn]$ df
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda2 1501968 829687 594666 58% /

I have another server that also have this problem. The only common factor
between these two servers I can think of is that they are running linux
2.0.30 and they have long uptimes.

Baldur