Re: Repeat the Ending

Mike A. Harris (mharris@blackwidow.saultc.on.ca)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:49:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> We could use a redesign of the console system. Things I'd like to see:
>
> - separation between generic console stuff and low-level (VGA) stuff
> - scrollback on all VCs, using a decent implementation (i.e. not depending
> on VGA features, since they're of no use to me)
>
> The way GGI does it (using the `scroller' interface) could be a start (but GGI
> isn't perfect neither, for machines without a hardware text mode).
>
> If you want to know more about the machines without VGA text mode, please let
> me know.

I have 18 local consoles, 5 to 10 of which I'm always logged in
on. Since my VGA is only a 1meg card, the scrollback buffers are
virtually useless to me, even more so if X is running. I'd
definately like to see the console system re-written to allow a
user defined buffer size for individual consoles. That way you
could have consoles with and consoles without a buffer, and each
console could have a different sized buffer. The vga hardware
method is not very good IMHO.

I'm very much interested in your thoughts.
TTYL

Mike A. Harris | http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris
Computer Consultant | Coming soon: dynamic-IP-freedom...
My dynamic address: http://blackwidow.saultc.on.ca/~mharris/ip-address.html
Email: mharris at blackwidow.saultc.on.ca <-- Spam proof address

Close windows, and OpenDOS! http://www.caldera.com/dos/dos.htm