Re: Segmentation fault [./scripts/mkdep & ./drivers/sound/configure scripts]

Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu)
09 Jun 1997 13:22:07 -0400

tyketto@corona.unomaha.edu (A Guy called Tyketto) writes:

> > I have a problem compiling the Linux kernel with SlackWare 3.2
> > When I do 'make config' it goes fine till the soundblaster configuration
> > and it exits with
> > an error [139].
> > When I execute the configure script in the drivers/sound dir I get a segmentation fault error
> > The same happend with the mkdep script ... so I can't compile the kernel !!
> > It's kernel version 2.0.29, but with kernel 2.1.35 I have
> > the same problem.
> > Everything worked fine though with the previous SlackWare
> > release ...
> > Why is this?
>
> I think this problem was answered in an earlier post.. Someone correct
> me if I'm wrong, but the error you're getting is a combination of 2 errors.
> you're getting make error 128, and you're hitting signal 11 errors as well.
> 128 + 11 = 139. Take a look at what error 128 is; perhaps it's listed in the
> man page for make, or other documentation for it. as for sig11, the WWW page
> may have changed addresses, but the last I saw it, you may want to take a look
> at http://einstein.et.tudelft.nl:80/~wolff/sig11/. it has some good insights
> into why you may be getting the error.

You're slightly confused. The default fatal signal handler terminates
the process with exit code (signal number + 128); in this case, the
number is 11.

--
Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu) | For Geek Code, PGP public key, and other info,
finger amu@monk.mit.edu. | "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.