Re: make error 139

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (wladams@freenet.tlh.fl.us)
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 19:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Hasan Diwan wrote:

> Ladies & Gentlemen:
> I am getting a WEIRD error after upgrading my kernel to 2.1.29
> from the 2.0.xx series. I try typing:
> % make dep
>
> and get an undocumented error 139 with make. Now, it is beginning to
> appear with everything, I am thoroughly dumbfounded by this error and
> I'd like to get to the bottom of this and get a fix. Oh, yes, binutils
> is 2.8, libc is either 5.4.23 or glibc-2.0-[234] and make version is
> 3.75. Any ideas where I could find help? My make did not come with
> info files (otherwise, I would have saved them).
>
> --
> Hasan Diwan
> hdiwan@ziplink.net

hasan:

if you have recently installed glibc, you may find this to be
related to differing header sizes between libc format 5 and
libc format 6.

an easy way to test this is to edit the kernel makefile to
pick up header definitions from /usr/include, ie. -I/usr/include,
before following default cpp path(/usr/local/include). if your
kernel compile succeeds, you may be in the position of sorting
out what's in /usr/include vs. /usr/local/include as i am doing now.

bill