Re: Bug in chown -- always kills suid/sgid bits.

Pavel Machek (pavel@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz)
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 11:26:42 +0200

> On 3 Jun, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > What about stopping this thread, and make change to user-level chown
> > to include option to set permissions back after chown, as chowning
> > setuid programs is sometimes handy?
>
> Because I agree with the current behavior. Besides, you can (as root)
> chown setuid programs. You just have to reset the s[u|g]id bit after
> you do the chown. IMO, as it should be....

Have you ever had 100 files, 25 of them setuid, with right permissions
but wrong owner? They were setuid 234 instead of setuid root. How do
you change their permissions?

[Happended to me two or three times].

This is my little buggy signature...				Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+