Re: Why SCSI disks rather than IDE disks? Re: SCSI disks

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:32:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:

> I said:

> > The disk mechanism itself is not at issue as those are in principle
> > identical.

> This is certainly true, but omits the important fact that *none* of the
> highest performance disk drives are available with an IDE interface.
> All the high end disk drives also have sophisticated head motion
> optimization algorithms which can substantially improve performance when
> the drive is given multiple commands at a time to work on.

I stand corrected. I had completely fogotten about this very important
fact. I wonder if one could simulate this aspect of SCSI function with a
sufficiently intelligent IDE controller (though at that point, there would
be significantly less cost advantage to IDE).

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;