Swapping drives hot, was ide question!

Michael Ballbach (ballbach@lorien.ml.org)
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:52:42 -0600 (MDT)

I have a question similair to this, I have a jaz drive, that I need to use
on other machines, not just the linux machine. Since the linux machine
stays up all the time, and I don't want to take it down, how can I connect
it/unconnect it on the fly? I used to have no scsi hard drives, so I'd
plug in the jaz drive, load the modules, use it, then remove the modules.
I moved /usr to a scsi hard drive, so now the modules stay loaded at all
times. It appears that when I plug the jaz drive in know, the machine
locks up. The logs show it tries to figure out what the drive is two or
three times. (Each time it ties up the whole machine for a good minute)
Then it locks up. I'm using the advansys scsi driver, compiled as a
module, kernel version 2.0.30. I would figure that the module would be
able to detect the new device, and deal with it. So maybe it is a bug with
the kernel/advansys driver? Any help wuold be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michael A. Ballbach: N0ZTQ, yeh-zehn.
ballbach@lorien.ml.org
http://lorien.ml.org/~ballbach/index.html

"The next war will be fought with nuclear weapons,
the next, with sticks." -- Albert Einstein.