Re: v3.1.36: NO ACK with TCP/IP???

Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se
Thu, 15 May 1997 07:29:49 +0200

This seems to be a repeat of an old message that I've already
replied to, but I'll reply again to prevent a flood of "me to"

Meino Christian Cramer <root@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de> writes:
>There is a problem with TCP/IP (or ppp):
>
>Everytime I connect to ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu
>(and some other sites...) the connection
>and login itsself works fine.
>
>But any attempt to transfer data (even "ls")
>fails. The modem shows some transfers, then
>the transfer stops. Nothing more happens.

There are two things of not. First, get yourself 2.1.37, it fixes a bug
in the TCP code that might be related.

Second, if that does not solve your problem, this sounds like the classic
case of a broken router between you and ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu that
is mucking up on path MTU discovery. You can test this case by turning
off the PMTU code on the Linux end. (This is a configuration option,
so you'll have to recompile your kernel.)

--
Eric Schenk                               www: http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics
Dept. of Comp. Sci., Lund University          email: Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se