Re: cyrix 6x86 and ne2000 driver problem

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Fri, 02 May 1997 20:50:03 +0100

> From: Nick Evgenev <root@wd.sch239.spb.ru>
> I've got a strange problem with ne2000 driver in linux 2.0.xx
> kernels and cyrix(ibm's) cpu. My hardware:
> motherboard - FIC pt-2006 with 32mb EDO ( VX based)
> cpu - ibm 6x86 166+ rev 1.7
> ethernet - isa ne2000 compatible
> (irq 11 io 300)
> sound - creative sb16 vibra pnp (irq 5, io 220, dma 1,5)
> modem - com 3, irq 9
> modem - com 1
> mouse - com 2
>
> linux 2.0.28,29,30 gcc 2.7.2
>
> The problem is:
> 1. sometimes machine hangs, depends on eth0 traffic
> I can't determinate exactly whats goes on :(
> 2. *Always* very slow put on my ftp via eth0 (from 1 to 20 kb/s)
> 3. Others operation on local netwok are slowed sometimes
>
> What I done already?
> 1. Changing 6x86 on i-100 solved all problems
> 2. Changing ne2000 on amd pci-32 (lance) solved my problems too.
> 3. Different modifications of ne2000(isa) cards changed without
> any success :(
>
> I think that problem is delays in ne2000 driver or
> somewhere in kernel. Those delays seems to be broken due loop
> optimisations in cyrix cpu. I hope that problem will be fixed
> soon :)

i have a Cyrix 166+ 1.6 based machine running 2.0.30 with two NE2000 clones
and have NOT seen a problem like the described one
my motherboard uses the OPTI chip set:
(Host bridge: OPTI 82C557,
ISA bridge: OPTI 82C558,
IDE interface: OPTI 82C621)
i have the checksum and cyrix patches applied
what specific 6x86 options did you enable in the kernel?

--
simon